HIV positive MSM and recreational drugs What we see in our clinic The potential drug interactions Management
The recreational dugs we see at ITCMH
• Patient A: 35 year old MSM Doing well on ARV’s. Developed an arrhythmia due to crystal methamphetamine and died last week.
• Patient B: 42 year old MSM Came back from London. Mid 2009 treated 2x for STI’s. Back at ITCMH in April 2010. Started slamming with crystal methamphetamine. Diagnosed HIV positive.
• Crystal methamphetamine:
Smoke, Inject (slamming), Sniff / Snort
• Cocaine: Sniff / Snort, Smoke
• Methcathinone: Sniff / Snort
• Marijuana/Cannabis: Inhale, Ingest
• MDMA, Ecstasy: Ingest
• Heroin: Inject, Sniff / Snort
• Poppers/Amyl nitrite
Full access to presentation available at link below –