Join us on July 22nd, 2018 at the KIT Royal Tropical Institute in Amsterdam, Netherlands for
Organized in conjuction with our Youth Reference Group and local co-hosts COC, GNP+, and ICSS
Registration is Now Open!
Register now for Out With It: Community Solutions for the Sexual Health and Rights of Young Gay and Bisexual Men. Attendance is free of charge but preference will be given to activists from the global south aged 29 and younger and/or living with HIV. Click here to register now!
It is time for community-led solutions to the challenges facing young gay and bisexual men.
There are an estimated 1.9 million new HIV infections a year globally, a disproportionate number of which are among young men who have sex with men. HIV responses that are dictated from the top-down suffer from lack of ownership and community assent. We urgently need to support interventions on sexual health and rights that are innovative and strategically deployed by and for gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men.
MSMGF’s Out With It Pre-Meeting and Reception is a day-long interactive youth-led event centered around generating and refining innovative, community-led solutions for the sexual health and rights of young gay and bisexual men.
This official AIDS 2018 pre-meeting will facilitate exchange and discussion among top youth activists, researchers, and community members for MSMGF’s Global Challenge— a call for forward-thinking solutions on sexual health topics such as healthcare access, stigma and discrimination, LGBT rights and more.
Out With It participants will learn about the key issues facing young gay and bisexual men through presentations from the Global Challenge Innovation Teams, as well as work together with Innovation Team leaders to further develop proposals into fully-fledged solutions. Out With It will serve as a platform for incubating and showcasing new ideas. Bring your creativity, critical thinking skills, and personal experiences to drive community solutions for improved sexual health. The Pre-meeting will be immediately followed by a reception.
This year’s MSMGF Pre-Meeting, Out With It, will be youth-led and centered around supporting new community-led solutions for the sexual health and rights of young gay and bisexual men. The title “Out With It” encourages advocates to make their voices heard – to be bold with their ideas and unashamed of their sexuality.
We have selected twelve teams led by youth advocates from around the world to join us in Amsterdam this summer who will have the chance to present and workshop their solutions at our event.
The Twelve Selected Solutions Include:
- An app to provide access to services for LGBTIQ+ and Sex Worker communities in Botswana
- Peer-to-peer STI testing events for young gay men in Mexico City
- An online platform that combines entertainment with information on safe sex practices for men who have sex with men in Guyana
- A chat-bot via WhatsApp that uses artificial intelligence to provide answers to questions about sexual health
- Connecting social media influencers with activists to address global issues such as stigma and homophobia
- A web application focused on educating young gay men on issues related to HIV/STI prevention and more in South Africa
- Playing cards that allow peer educators a more interactive way to talk about health issues with their community
- Online consultations that link LGBTQ people in India with healthcare providers who are trained and sensitized to their unique needs
- Discreetly linking young gay men, trans people and drug users in Indonesia with services through a mobile application
- Increasing the uptake of HIV counseling and testing in Namibia by encouraging participation in blood donation drives
- Challenging transphobia in Zimbabwe by disseminating information and providing safe spaces for trans men
- Linking young gay and bisexual men to local health services in Southeast Asia through mobile applications
The format of our pre-meeting will be guided by proposals from successful Innovation Teams. Attendees of this event will work together with team leaders and members of their teams to learn more about the issues that face young gay and bisexual men while developing and refining these proposals into fully-fledged solutions.
The event will culminate in an awards ceremony at MSMGF’s Networking Zone at the AIDS 2018 Global Village where pre-meeting attendees will select one or more solutions to move on to a pilot testing phase after the conference.
Please note: Space for the Out With It Pre-Meeting and Reception is limited. While registration for the Pre-Meeting is open to everyone, MSMGF is fully committed to making the Pre-Meeting accessible to young gay and bisexual men, men who are living with HIV, and men from low- and middle-income countries that have been traditionally underrepresented at these conferences. Applicants from these groups will be prioritized for admittance.