2 weeks ahead of the International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia!! We are so excited and hope you are too. News keep coming in from around the world about exciting projects that we wanted once more to share some of the info with you. You will find more details about each project on our site
• The United Nations will be releasing ahead of IDAHO a first ever brochure highlighting UN official positions on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Human Rights. The brochure will be launched by a Video adress from Human Rights Commissionner Pillay.
• The Transrespect versus Transphobia Worldwide project (TvT) will publish on the International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia, on its website an interactive map documenting over 550 killings of trans people worldwide since 2008.
• In Lebanon, advocates are launching a community blog collecting stories of LGBT Lebanese people
• In the UK, there will be events all over the country displaying once more the astonishing diversity and creativity of British LGBT groups.
• In Japan, 17 cities will host initiatives aimed at raising awareness about homophobia and Transphobia including an effort by the LGBT community to write letters of support for people impacted by the Tsunami and Earthquake.
• In the United States, several actions will take place including for the first time ever an event in Idaho commemorating IDAHO
• Eight cities throughout China will commemorate IDAHO, many of whom will join IGLHRC in screening "Courage Unfolds" a documentary about SOGI Human Rights.
• Canada will be celebrating all over the country, including specific addresses to local governments such as Toronto as they call on their City Council to be more inclusive.
• In Burundi, all LGBT groups will unite with supportive Human Rights defense groups to inaugurate the first shelter home for LGBT people who have been kicked out of their homes.
• In Bangladesh, organisations Boys of Bangladesh and BANDHU will be celebrating IDAHO together with a series of conferences, film screenings and discussions on legal aspects within Universities to increase awareness amongst students on the issue of Homophobia
• Mexico will hold extensive intellectual discussions, debates and activities throughout the country to highlight the impacts of Homophobia and Transphobia. There is a 5k walk/run against discrimination event in Mexico City.
• Hong Kong will be playing out their campaign "Born This Way" identifying ways forward in their community.
• In Kenya, organisations from around the country will gather in both Kisumu in order to organise a march uniting LGBT people and sex workers. The programme will also include a one-day training session for police forces, lawyers and health care providers, and a fashion show. At the same time, a Human Rights march in Nairobi will be part of an IDAHO programme including the launch of a report and a public discussion on LGBTI issues.
• In Germany, LGBT umbrella organisation LSVD will stroll through downtown Mainz, holding hands, hugging, and taking care of their children.
• Once more, the Christian pro-gay group,Changing Attitude Ireland, is organising special church services in Dublin, Cork and Belfast on Sunday 15th May 2011 to mark IDAHO.
• In Argentina, as in almost every single country in Latin America, there will be public actions to support the ‘Cures that Kill’ campaign, including public display of artwork, protests, etc…
• The United Nations employee group GLOBE will be hosting a series of awareness activities to educate UN community members.
Whether your or your organisation has organised something for IDAHO or not, we would like to remind you that you can take some easy action for IDAHO, which would greatly contribute to the global fight against homophobia and transphobia :
1. Support the groups in Latin America fighting against religious dogmatism by signing the appeal at http://www.dayagainsthomophobia.org…
2. Send a submission to the "As I Am" campaign at http://www.dayagainsthomophobia.org… Please create a short video, a piece of artwork or photo, or a small writing as a testimonial of what makes you unique. Please spread the news to all of your friends and colleagues and ask them to contribute too. The campaign aims at creating a global gallery of expressions of our diversity and our beauty.
3. Put the two campaigns up on your website as a call for action ahead of the Day and again on the Day
4. Link your FB page to ours. Create an event that asks all your fans to go to our site and take action on IDAHO !
We wish you all a great IDAHO ! The IDAHO Team