To present some ideas for an understanding and to raise questions that open up
discussion about: What are the prevention needs among South African MSM?
• Why are we asking this question? What is our objective? Where do we want to get to?
• Is there a problem? What is the problem?
Social science that makes a difference
• What are the factors, problems, barriers at play?
• What are the potential“ responsibilities”?
• What strategies are at stake to ensure “responsibilities” happen?? Few data on transmen
CONCEPTUALLY WHAT WE KNOW IS SHAPED BY THE:
• Epistemological (gendered construction of the epidemic: what and how knowledge is created and constructed)
• Epidemiological (categorizations flowing from scientific understanding of the virus: Social science that makes a difference “mode of transmission”, subcultures/groups: testing, life expectancy etc)
• Social and Political (the social, political and cultural context)
Full access to presentation available at link below –