2013 WHO Consolidated ARV Guidelines
What are the guidelines?
Responding to the emergence of new scientific evidence, WHO is in the process of developing a revised and consolidated set of guidelines related to the use of ARVs for HIV treatment and prevention, prioritising people living with HIV and those who are most at risk of acquiring HIV, and aiming to accelerate progress towards universal access to HIV diagnostics, treatment, care and support. The guidelines are planned for release in early 2013 – previous versions can be found here.
What is the consultation?
The new generation of guidelines will include, in addition to the customary clinical guidance, operational and service delivery guidance and programmatic guidance targeted towards HIV programme managers, which will help countries make the best strategic decisions on the use of ARVs.
Recognising how important it is for the guidelines to reflect the realities and lives of people and communities living with and affected by HIV, and of civil society, WHO seeks to undertake a consultative process with communities to inform these revised and consolidated guidelines.
To support communities’ active role in informing the revised and consolidated guidelines, the International HIV/AIDS Alliance and GNP+, in collaboration with WHO, are conducting an online e-survey and an online e-forum discussion. A Civil Society Working Group has been formed to guide the content and process of consultation and promote effective and inclusive engagement of communities.
How can I take part?
Opportunities to feed into the process have already begun and will continue until the end of December 2012. They include:
• An online survey available in five languages: English, French, Spanish, Russian, and Arabic (from mid November 2012). The English version is now available at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WHOARV
• E-Forum discussions providing opportunities for more in-depth qualitative discussions around key technical issues and areas of concern (from mid November to end of December 2012)
To stay informed, participate and join the discussion, please sign up to our consultation eForum by sending a blank email to one of the following e-mail address:
• English – join-ARVen@eforums.healthdev.org
• Spanish – join-ARVes@eForums.healthdev.org
• French – join-ARVfr@eForums.healthdev.org
• Russian – join-ARVru@eForums.healthdev.org
• Arabic – join-ARVar@eForums.healthdev.org
You will receive a confirmation email back.
You can also check the following websites for more information and updates on how to access the e-survey and e-forum discussions:
We look forward to your participation and support in this critically important process.
International HIV/AIDS Alliance and Global Network of People Living With HIV/AIDS